If you can’t attend the meetings on equalization this week, email key legislators (listed below) in support of the bills.
For background information . . .SEE’s pizza video defines the problem. This chart shows the cost to the local taxpayer in each school district for the same levy amount for their schools. Without adequate equalization, some district taxpayers pay two or three times more.
Key concepts that you can use to get started:
- Support equalization bills such as SF177/HF769 and SF569/HF579 to reduce the gaps in educational opportunities based on zip code and provide fairness for taxpayers in communities like mine.
- Inadequate state funding makes our schools dependent on voter-approved levies just to provide the basics for our students.
- The disparity in the amount of levy dollars raised from one district to the next puts many children at a distinct disadvantage due to lost opportunities,
- Increasing equalization will lower the cost of levies in school districts without significant commercial or industrial developments.
- The state has a constitutional obligation to fund schools fairly for all kids.
- The time is now!
Legislators need to hear from you! You can put these concepts into your own words, don’t worry about touching on them all or getting everything right, just share your personal concerns.
Always include your name and address in the email.
Be sure to copy these key leaders in your email (you can cut and past this list into your email):
If you prefer to call, you can find the phone numbers for leadership on the SEE website